Wednesday 5 October 2011

The Beast in Our Society


I am grateful to my parents Mr & Mrs Nduka. I could not wish for better parents than them. You would ask why? Prior to everything, I always get goose bumps when on the streets of Lagos or elsewhere I come across a child (minor) engaged in one minial task or the other all in the name of helping out for the family to survive.
Tears cloud my eyes when I start to imagine of the very numerous dangers that particular child might be exposed to all in the name of contributing to the well-being of the family.

Now a question comes to mind.

What is a family? There are a million and ten descriptions of what a family connotes. I am no judge or critic that can say this or that is the better definition of a family but beyond what a family is, comes "who is the family?"
I am no Einstein or Darwin but to me a family is the "Child". Arguably I might be wrong but the whole essence of a man and a woman coming together is to start a family that depends on the child thereof to survive or for continuance.
Now when you observe the streets and see those poor and helpless children who are exposed to a lot of dangers whilst trying to do their parents bidding, you might pause to reminisce on what becomes of that family. A family of hawkers (whatever ware it be)?

Once again I reiterate my statement that I am grateful to my parents because as a child I was no different from these young danger prone street children we often come across. Now you get my picture right?

When I was crowned Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria 2011, lots of people were happy for me, lots of people were envious for whatsoever reason but that night on the podium one thing kept lurking in my mind. What difference can I impact on my generation. Was I going to be carried away with the glitz and glamour of stardom or was I going to leave a legacy like no other before? Please forgive if I sound modest, every young lady would become carried away with the glitz and glamour but I stand to differ. I was indeed grateful for the honour bestowed on me but like the age-long school of thought "with great heights comes great responsibilities" as I nearly choked out of confusion as to what do I make of my reign. Then it became clear to me...."yes I was going to show how grateful I was to God for giving me my kind of parentage".

My role model happens to be my mother but that does not mean I love my father any less. Growing up I derived so much inspiration in "the strength of a woman" exhibited by my mother. Understandably a man is the figure head of the family but a woman makes a family and stretching it further, "The Child is the Family". So I am my family and today the honour I bear shows that a child is the family.

What does the child get in a family? Love and Affection? Hatred, Neglect and Slavery? What would you wish for your child? Be a better judge. But don't forget it is the same thing that the parents of those minors on the streets would wish for their children.
How then could this societal ill of child enslavement be curbed? I am open to ideas as you are.
Within my reign as Most Beautiful Girl In Nigeria I cannot boast that I would do this and do that without the help and ideas of those who gave me such honour...You.

This candid write up is a debut to many others to come (sorry but one of the reasons I am grateful for my parentage is that I got a good education) bordering on a heartfelt ideology of bettering the lives of our children. If you want your family to argur well, then start by considering who is your family.....the child.
On my numerous sojourns as beauty queen, I came across a lot of life situations...."the good, the bad, the ugly" and I would want to add I came across the "The Beast". Yes, child cruelty is indeed the bane of our world unless we make a collective and consensual effort towards fighting "The Beast". We all have to come to a realization that how we treat our children is who we are.

No matter our calling, societal status or influence; if we cannot "Lift a child up and off the ground", we cannot and will not be seen as fighting the good fight that determines who we are so it's time to "Lift A Child Off The Ground".

Your ideas and suggestions are welcome. Contact me and share your notions on the following social online platforms:
Facebook: Sylvia Nduka, Sylvia Chichi Nduka and Sylvia Nduka Fan Page
Twitter: @OfficialSylviaN
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/officialmbgn2011
Google: http://www.google.com/mbgn2011
Email: mbgn2011@gmail.com or sylviakiss86@yahoo.com
Blog: http://mbgn2011sylvianduka.blogspot.com/

Thank You and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment